History of Facility

   The Towne Square Community Centre renovation was started in March 2011 and was completed by July 2011. Formerly known as Hawkins Appliances and JC Penny before that, the current facility was renovated under the new energy conservation code, exterior walls all have additional insulation and lighting system throughout the facility is controlled by a computer in the basement. While renovating the building to modern energy codes, we strived to preserve the historical integrity of the building and therefore replaced the ceiling with a replica of the original tin ceiling with exact duplicates constructed by a company out of Cleveland. Even the elevator in the rear of the building is still an Otis hand operated rope driven elevator which was the second elevator Otis installed in the state of Indiana, it’s still operational and is used on a daily basis.

   Even though we’ve restored the facility close to its original historical look and feel, we wanted to offer a facility with modern technology to meet the needs of the community. You’ll notice around the room, six 72 inch High Definition televisions which can be utilized for cable television, playing DVD’s, connecting to the internet, gaming system hookup and more. The entire facility is also hardwired and has wireless capabilities for PowerPoint presentations. The sound system is an independent system which will accommodate all audiovisual needs as well as support the use of a wireless microphone. We also have other amenities available for rent such as a portable bar, dance floor, linens & china table settings. Also, full use of a service prep area (some restrictions apply).

   From company meetings and parties to wedding receptions and banquets, Towne Square Community Centre will do what it takes meet your facility needs.
 
Contact us today for booking! You can even check our availability by looking at our events schedule.

Full History of 123 W Franklin Street Winchester, IN 47394

123 W Franklin Street Early 1900's

   123 West Franklin Street was originally the residence of Thomas Ward. Upon his passing the house and the lot were sold to O.E. Davis and M.L. Mills for $6,015. The new owners intended to tear down the residence and build what was deemed a "modern style" two story brick building that would cover the entire lot. One of the owners Martin Luther Mills intended to use the building as the new storefront of his store, M.L. Mills. This department store was currently located on the Kelly block where the Haines drug store stands today. M.L. Mills department store specialized in clothing, specifically Men's Suits and Ladies Ready for Service Garments.

   Since then, the building has also housed another well known department store, JC Penny. Most recently, the building underwent a total renovation in order to be used as the temporary home of the Randolph County Courthouse while the original courthouse was being renovated.

   Today this historical building still stands completely renovated and continuing to be a substantial part of the public square as it is now the site of the Towne Square Business & Community Centre.

 

Martin Luther MillsM.L. Mills Newspaper Ad Circa 1911